I have a confession to make. I love reading self improvement books put out by Latter-day Saint authors. My favorite ones are by Merrilee Boyack. I found books in the Time Out For Women Store that I want to buy. They are:
Wake Up To A Happier Life: Finding Joy in the Work You Do Every Day by Amanda Dickson
In Trying Times, Just Keep Trying! by Merrilee Browne Boyack
I Hate It When Exercise Is The Answer: A Fitness Program For The Soul by Emily Watts
5 Spiritual Solutions for Everyday Parenting Challenges by Linda J Eyre & Richard M Eyre
I feel like these types of books help keep me motivated to work on the things that I need to work on. I love that feeling, and I especially get it when I'm watching General Conference. I enjoy spending 2 weekends a year hearing the leaders of the church speaking to us about the things that we need to know for our time. It was an amazing Conference this past weekend and I'm so much looking forward to studying the talks over the next 6 months until the next General Conference.
Over the weekend I kind of had a rant that I feel compelled to share a bit on my blog, since John agreed with me that it's a huge issue that needs awareness. I was reading that someone I know ended up having to stop breastfeeding and switch to using a bottle for a very good reason. Just over 4 1/2 years ago I went through that as well. We were never able to get Caleb to latch and he was starving. I had to make a choice. I chose to not let my son starve. Yet, there are so many women out there who treat us mothers who have to choose to bottle feed for whatever reason like we should be put in front of a firing squad for not breastfeeding our children. Seriously!?! It's disgusting how self righteous and judgmental these women can be. I wanted to nurse my children, but I can't. My body will not cooperate and I tried several different things to try to make it work. None of them did. So instead of letting my children starve to death trying for weeks on end to make this work while stressing myself out to the absolute max, I chose to give them the next best thing in order to save the health of both of us. How on earth does that make me a bad mother? I know that breast milk is better, but I didn't have that option (pumping wouldn't work for me either). We rarely know why people make the choices for their family that they do, and it is not our place to judge them for it. I think that's a valuable lesson. Okay, I'm stepping off of my soapbox now.
Anyway, I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. Other than my 15 minute rant, mine was great!
2 comments:
I love a good motivating book also - as long as it's entertaining and witty! :)
Breastfeeding: I was actually one of those people dead-set against it before I had logan but as time went on after attempting the first week of it (I wanted him to have the colostrum) I decided to let it be and it happened to work for me/us. My opinion of it is that each mother has to do what's best for her and her baby. If that means bottle feeding then that's the way it has to be! Why cause more stress on your body and your baby's body if it doesn't work out? I do think that mothers should make the attempt before completly axing the idea but if you do and you can't, then that's just the way the cards were dealt.
ALSO, this conference I had a humbling experience to be less judgemental about working mom's and I am pretty sure it was the same talk where he said those 2 points - one being as a mom never feel like you have to apologize for the choices you make regarding your own children...and to take that further, as longa s they are healthy, well and nourished I think people need to butt out. :)
lol sorry.. this topic is one that works me up a bit!
I have to agree with you! I can't tell you how many times people say things about not breastfeeding {um yeah wasn't an option for me :) obviously} But I have four very healthy children who are smart and rarely get sick! The are growing and guess what not one of them had breast milk imagine that eh! So I hear you I hate the judging looks that I used to get that people had no idea where I came to to get to that point to just have this precious little baby in my arms!! Formula is there for a reason its a choice or sometimes the only option! My mother was feed as a baby on canned milk and guess what she is just fine! Seriously people eh!! Great post!
Love general conference too! And self help books too! as you know ha ha! I am so happy and proud of you and the family you have seriously for the love of the gospel and the testimony you carry it is a beautiful thing! How far each of us come! You are a great mother and someone our little miss can be proud of too!♥u
Post a Comment