Monday, January 10, 2011

Goings On

Hey everyone! What a weekend. We, like most of Alberta, got the fun blizzard. John had to go out and get our groceries on Saturday night because we were down to our last couple rolls of toilet paper. He made it there and back without any problems and realized that the grocery store is pretty much dead when there's a blizzard, ha ha. John took Caleb to church yesterday and Ty and I stayed home because he had/has quite the cough from a viral infection. I know that I absolutely hate it when my kids get sick because other parents didn't keep their sick kid home, so when my boys are contagious and under the age of 8, they stay home. I figure that once they're 8 they're old enough to wash their hands enough, cover their mouth and kind of stay out of other people's faces a bit.

So Ty was napping during that time since he hasn't been sleeping well at all. I read a book about how to raise independent kids who know how to work. It was a wonderful book and I totally recommend it to anyone raising kids. It's called 'The Parenting Breakthrough: A Real-life Plan to Teach Your Kids to Work, Save Money, and be Truly Independent' by Merrilee Browne Boyack. I love it. I love all of her books that I've read so far. There are still 2 more that I need to get, but I'll probably wait until my birthday rolls around in October for that. Anyway, so you start working on these independence skills when your kid is 3 and there are things to work on with them each year. We're doing fairly well with Caleb, he just has 7 things left to learn before he turns 5 at the end of September, so we have plenty of time. He needs to learn to:
-Brush his teeth on his own every day (We usually let him try first and then do a touch up)
-Pick up his toys every day (He's almost there with this one)
-Wash the table after each meal
-Make his bed every day
-Make a simple breakfast on his own (cereal, toast or similar)
-Make a peanut butter sandwich (He already makes his own honey sandwiches)
-Tidy up his room every day (We're doing fairly good with this one as well)
So we're going to work on one skill with him every month starting in February, which will be the teeth brushing month.

This morning I when for my WinRho shot. Caleb came in with me when I got my needle. He wanted to and I figured it would be a good experience for him to see that needles don't hurt that much, since he'll be going for his Kindergarten shots in a few months (probably July). He was very concerned when she put the needle in me and kept asking if I was okay and I reassured him that I was. It was a really good idea to let him come in, I think. I also reminded him that when he gets his needles that he'll get a sticker.

So our plans for this week are that tomorrow I have a prenatal appointment and on Wednesday John is taking Caleb to the specialist to see when we get get the tonsils removed and while that is happening I'll be here so the Telus guy can switch our phone and internet for us. Also, tomorrow I start week 2 of my 25 weeks of goals. I've had a perfect day every day this week. When the goals get a little more interesting, I may share what they are, but right now they are super boring and even a bit embarrassing that I needed to make it into a goal.

Well, hope you have a great week!

No comments: