Friday, November 4, 2011

Christmas Comments

It's not a well hidden fact that I LOVE Christmas. I listen to my favourite Christmas albums year round and I get super excited for decorating every year. I love the spirit of it. I'd love to start decorating on November 1st every year and have at least 2 full months of decorations. I don't, though. I always wait until November 12th at the earliest. Because I don't want my focus to be decorations on November 11th. I'm Canadian to the core and have no idea what Veteran's Day is like in the States. But up here, I do my best to give Remembrance Day the respect that it deserves. I wear my poppy for 2 weeks before the day. I often read books that remind me of the sacrifices that people made in wars for freedom. I have already started collecting books that will help my kids to become educated about the World Wars. So many lives were lost and so many more were scarred to ensure freedom, that it feels disrespectful to decorate for Christmas before then, at least to me. But you'd better believe that I'll be unpacking my Christmas tote on November 12th!

On another note about Christmas, I keep wondering why everyone is allowed to have rights during the holidays (or year round, for that matter) except for Christians. Seriously, if someone wishes you a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanzaa, no one's going to correct them or chastize them. Happy Holidays is considered perfectly acceptable, politically correct and highly encouraged. However, if you wish someone a Merry Christmas or Happy Christmas then all of a sudden you're discriminating and offending people. HONESTLY?!? Take a step back and realize just how lost and corrupt our society has become so that someone can't even give people a pleasant festive greeting anymore. So whatever people wish me this year, I'll smile, say thank you and wish them a Happy Christmas. Because I don't answer to cranky atheists who want to control the beliefs and morality (or lack thereof) of the world. I answer to Heavenly Father, and it's the birth of His son that I am thankful for this time of the year, and always.

*Takes a step off of the soapbox*

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Love it! Thanks for helping me remember the true meaning of this time of year.