Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Projects

One of my favourite family members asked me what my goals/projects for Personal Progress are. Since I think she's so awesome, I'll post them.

First off, for those of you who aren't members of the church I will explain what it is. Personal Progress is a program for girls ages 12-17 in our church where they work on goals and projects to help increase their testimony and prepare them for the temple, marriage and motherhood. There are 8 different sections that you work on. Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice & Accountability, Good Works, Integrity and Virtue. In order to have completed the program you must do 3 required goals from the first 7 sections as well as 3 other suggested goals from each (you can pick your own as well, as long as it is appropriate for the section and is approved by a parent or leader). For Virtue there are just 4 required goals. Also, each section (we call them values, actually) there is a project that you must do (you can use a suggestion or make up your own and get it approved, except for Virtue). These projects must take AT LEAST 10 hours to complete.

I'm mostly just doing the required and suggested goals for all of them, I chose one goal of my own for Individual Worth. That one is a bit personal, though.

However, here's what I chose for my projects:

Faith: Complete all of the assignments for Book of Mormon Seminary & Memorize all of the Scripture Masteries for the Book of Mormon.

Divine Nature: Plan out and make lessons for Family Home Evening for the entire 2012 year and use them every week.

Individual Worth: Plan how to eat nutritiously and exercise for 90 days. Then do it, keeping a daily record of what is eaten, what exercise has been done and how it has made me feel about myself.

Knowledge: Learn and use a new homemaking skill (such as sewing or canning). *I haven't decided on one yet*

Choice & Accountability: Organize all of the rooms in our home. Record in my journal how doing this has helped in other areas of my life.

Good Works: Go to the temple to do some form of proxy work once every month in 2012. Write about each experience in my journal.

Integrity: Create books of quotations for myself and the boys that will remind us each day of our committment to be honest and true at all times and known for our personal integrity. These books will be given to them upon their ordination to the Aaronic Priesthood.

Virtue: Read The Book of Mormon cover to cover. (This is a required project and the one that I am currently working on. I am almost finished Mosiah and on schedule to finish the book before the middle of December.)

So there you have it:)

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I love that you are doing this! What great goals. I have finished the Personal Progress Program one time when I was a Young Woman. It would be so enjoyable to do it again under the new program. So glad you are enjoying this!

Kyla Bly said...

-tears up over first part of blog- aw, love you Nikki!

And, I love the goals you've set. They are WAY harder then the goals I would have done (as a YW that is lol) - granted the program was very different when I went through..

Your Faith goal is intense! , are you good at memory work?. Divine Nature - should you want help with anything on that one, I am always looking for ideas myself, and we can brainstorm/bounce ideas off each other!
Knowledge: once you start sewing, if you're anything like me, you get the 'sewing bug' and just want to make everything! An idea: I made a quilt for logan as (basically) my first sewing venture - it was a simple pattern but it was really well worth it in the end! I know you have 3 boys so you probably wouldn't want to make just one (but you could start with just one) or make one for your own bed? I know you haven't chosen sewing vs canning, but just a thought!

Ind Worth: if you need someone to 'report to' for your exercise and eating, let me know! My mom used to be a part of something called FA (Food Addicts) and they would have to call every morning and commit to eating whatever they chose for the day, and sticking to it - anyways, it is very effective! You then have someone to be accountible to and it can realy help. I could be your 'sponsor' and you could mine :)

So how have you decided to do all of these? I hope not all at once?! That'd be way intense LOL.

-Kyla