Saturday, July 16, 2011

Goodbye To The Last 9 1/2 Years

In December of 2001, I went and saw Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone with my brother and our friend, Scott. I had not read the books yet because I still had a hard time reading anything fantasy like. I came out of that movie entirely hooked. Over Christmas hols I devoured the first 4 books (not literally). It felt like falling in love. That month was followed by waiting for movie and book releases. It shook me in book 5 when Sirius died, he was my favorite character. I wanted to scream at the Prisoner of Azkaban movie as it's my favorite of the books and the movie was the worst of them all. In July 2007 John went out and bought me the last book right at midnight. I bawled my eyes out at the death of Fred Weasley (the book has been out for almost 4 years, surely you know by now that he dies even if you haven't read it). It was bittersweet finishing that book. There was no story left, but as a diehard (obsessed) fan, I still had the movies to look forward to.

My emotions have been all over the place the past few months anticipating this movie. I have been excited like a little kid again at one point and then feeling indifferent at other points. I had no idea what to expect from this movie that would end my 9 1/2 years of waiting for the next Potter event. Yesterday morning things got even crazier when at the last minute I needed to find someone to go with me. There was only 1 person I wanted to ask, though, and thankfully she couldn't turn it down. As we stood in line for about an hour or so it felt so unreal and so exciting. I was jealous of the people in full costume. I tried, but my sweater doesn't fit at the moment and things didn't look right without it, so I just wore the tie in my hair instead and wore my muggle clothes (it is summer hols for Hogwarts right now, right?). John said I looked really cute, though:)

I won't spoil the movie for anyone, but I will say the following: My hat is off to you to, David Yates. You definitely did the finale better than any other movie I've ever watched. I could watch it over and over again (I'm sure I will when it's released on DVD/Blue-ray). Also, I must mention Alan Rickman. You were the perfect man for the role and your portrayal of the bravest man in the series is absolutely astounding. You did it justice and them some. It's been a long time since I cried like that at a movie, but by golly, you deserved it.

I have never left a Harry Potter movie without complaints before. However, when I walked out last night, it was just "WOW!". There's no complaints here. Bang on, Yates, bang on!

No comments: