Thursday, February 26, 2015

Pink Shirt Day

On Tuesday the boys came home from school saying they needed pink shirts for school the next day. I don't know if they noticed, but I'm the only girl in our family and since I don't wear the colour often, we don't exactly have a lot of pink shirts at our disposal. So John and Caleb left early to Cubs and picked up some hot pink fabric dye. I grabbed an undershirt from each of their dressers and spent a couple of hours dyeing, washing and drying these shirts. I think John didn't understand why I didn't just say "sorry, but I didn't have enough time to get it ready for this year, but maybe next year". The reason is very simple...

I AM ANTI-BULLYING!!!

It's a topic that we're very passionate about in our house. John and I were both bullied throughout school, and I myself was bullied for a few years even after. We know from personal experience the kind of damage that bullying can do to a person. We very clearly point out to our kids when something they have said or done is actually bullying, so that they know not to do it. We have had many talks about what to do if someone is bullying them. Bullying is so unnecessary and so destructive. We, as parents, are trying very hard to do our part to prevent it.

You can learn more about Pink Shirt Day here.

And here are my awesome boys, doing their part to help raise awareness.


1 comment:

Lynn said...

Great job of the colour die! Boys look awesome in their pink shirts.