Saturday, September 22, 2012

Most Productive Dessert Date Ever

This is an extremely heavy post that I'm doing solely for my own benefit. I had a friend ask me out for dessert on Wednesday. She knew something was wrong with me (cause she's amazing) and called me out on it. I broke down and a whole lot came out about what I've been struggling with. One of those things was a man who 20 years ago broke my self esteem and it hasn't been repaired since. My friend was the first person in the whole 20 years to look my straight in the eyes and say "He was wrong, Nikki. He was wrong." I don't want to go into a lot of details about what happened because there are other people involved in the story that I don't want to talk about in this situation, but I've been carrying an obscene amount of baggage because of this man and it felt so good to FINALLY have someone tell me straight up that he was wrong.

She also said something that I've kind of replayed in my head a lot since. We were talking about how I don't know how to see good in myself and how I can only see my flaws due to my self esteem issues. She said "I wish that you could see yourself the way I see you" and went on to tell me some of the things she really appreciates about me that I don't recognize in myself.

When she asked me out for dessert, I don't think she knew that I was going to start deeply searching and trying to change a huge thing in my life after. I think we just missed hanging out with each other (cause she's the Harry to my Ron). I also know that there's no way she could have known when she asked "How are you doing, really?" just how much was going to come out. It's amazing, though, how much difference one person with a kind a sincere heart can make. I've been grateful for a while now that Heavenly Father brought her into my life, but now that gratitude is beyond words. I am so thankful that He has blessed me with her friendship at this time and has given me a friend who realizes just how much I need someone to help me feel like I'm of worth.

I guess the point I wanted to make, other than having these important things recorded for me to go back to, was to never underestimate what you could end up meaning to someone else just by caring about them.

No comments: