Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Rest of the Secrets

I guess I can spill the other secrets now. I've just started being the secretary for the Canadian Regional Birth Parent Training Committee. I haven't really done anything yet, but I'm excited about it. It's through LDS Family Services, so I've gotten to talk to my case worker from L's adoption a few times in this last week. It should be really good though, and I'm so excited to be able to give back to the world of adoption. I know I've been talking about it a lot lately, and I'm sorry if it's boring the snot out of people, but it's something I'm really passionate about.

And I just found out yesterday that I'll be on the major birth parent panel during the FSA National Conference in Utah at the end of July. This means I'll be telling my adoption story and answering questions about adoption in front of hundreds of people. I will be honest, I feel like I'm going to need to bring a puke bucket with me. But I'm so honoured to do this. When I wrote the story out on here a couple of months ago, I bawled my eyes out while doing so. It was the first time I'd ever told the WHOLE story all at once. It was really hard. But so much good has come out of me writing that story. A from FSA read about it and things just kind of snowballed from there. I know now that I was prompted to write about it so that I could start serving in the adoption community the way that I'm going to be from now on.

I'm starting to get nervous about how I will handle the stress of these new responsibilities along with the stress of my calling in Activity Days. I was pretty stressed when it was just Activity Days. But I feel so strongly that I'm supposed to do this, so I have faith that I'll be given the strength that I need to serve.

50 Days Until Utah! YAHOO!!!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

What an honor to be able to give back to the process that helped you and L so much. You will be so great!

Alana said...

Just plan the activites and then don't worry about the girls response. That's the best advice I have for you.
I think you'll do wonderful with your new ventures, it is something you are passionate about. I think you are a great example of a birth mother. Your love of Lauren is there but you know that she belongs to a another family. It's like you made a pact with her birth mom in heaven and told her, I know that you will have a trail when it comes to having children and I can help you out. I think you should share the story how you shared it on the blog, you did a wonderful job. Plus you will do a wonderful job at the question and answer period as you have been honest and open with everyone who has asked you question. Have fun on you Utah trip. Sorry for such a long comment.