Thursday, January 15, 2015

My 'Crafty' Side


I will be the first to admit that my mum kept all of her crafty talent and shared none of it with me while I was still in utero. I severely lack an imagination (I couldn't even read the first chapter of Harry Potter until I had the visual from the movie) and it took years to be able to draw a straight line with a ruler. However, I decided over Christmas holidays that I need to start being a bit creative just to have an outlet. Being a stay-at-home mum who doesn't drive, I kind of lose my mind in the winter. And summer... Pretty much any time, ha ha. So I bought Caleb's desk from him that he wasn't using for the price of a Skylanders trap (so, about $7). I used a fair chunk of my Christmas money from my parents to buy things for my desk like 2 new pen sets (huzzah for Staedtler pens), highlighters, organizers and so forth. Thus, my creative space was born.

So the 3rd Thursday of the month is about getting to share what I've been working on.

Mondays are set aside for personal writing, which is just that. It's personal.

Tuesdays are for learning about whatever I feel like learning about. Lately it has been Sensory Processing Disorder. There are a lot of traits from it that my kids have, so I have been learning about lots of fun activities to do with them. One that I think all 3 of them are going to enjoy this summer is 'painting' the fence in our back yard with water. We're also going to make them calm down bottles (if you're on Pinterest, I'm sure you've seen them). I've got a whole list, but it would probably just be a lot easier to check it out on Pinterest. There are so many fun activities that just about any kid would like.

Wednesdays are to build up our collection of geeky Christmas ornaments, aka Perler Beads Day. Here are the latest 5 that I've made.



The Batman is for John, Wonder Woman is for me, Green Lantern is for Caleb, Superman is for Ty and The Flash is for Brettley. They also match our geeky Christmas stockings that my mum made for us in 2013. I've also made 1 other ornament each for us, but they made it on the tree last month and are put away now.

Thursdays are my blogging day and, if I'm up to it, doing a decluttering chore. With my back out right now, though, it's not been happening.

Fridays I am finding floor plans for houses that I like on Pinterest and putting them onto graph paper, making a few changes as I see fit. This is actually one of my most favourite things to do. John keeps telling me to become an architect and then he will stay at home with the kids. I keep reminding him that I sucked at high school math and barely scraped a passing grade in Physics 20.

My side project recently has been assembling Busy Bag activities for the boys for church.


This one is part of Brettley's school stuff to help him learn the Alphabet, but it's being transferred to the Busy bag.



Here's part of the Colour Sudoku kit I made. I'm actually pretty excited about this one, since I love Sudoku and am pretty dang decent at it (right Amber?).



From the reactions I got while making this, the kids are probably going to be fighting after this Build a Pizza kit. They all thought it was so awesome.

So that's what I've been up to this past month in my efforts to be a little more creative.

Also, thanks again to Amber for my awesome new blog header :D

No comments: