So an update about goings on with Caleb. We met with the psychiatrist yesterday and also with the psychologist. Caleb, as I've mentioned before, has been officially diagnosed with ADHD. He also meets the criteria, and then some, for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, but doesn't have an official diagnosis at this point. We will continue to see the psychiatrist every couple of months to ensure that his current medication and dosage is still working well for him. However, we no longer need to make use of the psychologist unless we choose to. We are happy with the progress that Caleb has made (more like thrilled, actually). Things are getting so much better and I am SO grateful for that.
Things with Caleb have been a very big learning experience and eye opener for me. I am learning so much about ADHD and ODD. I am learning how to change how I parent to be more effective for him. I am learning how to be an advocate for him in school. I am (finally) learning how to have more patience. Some of the eye openers have been learning that ADHD doesn't always look the way you expect it to. Also, a big one for me was accepting that sometimes, kids require medication, even if it's not a road you wanted to travel. The way I look at it now is that when my kids have a bacterial infection, I make sure they get antibiotics. Because something is actually wrong that causes Caleb to not have control, I make sure he has what he needs for it. Sick is sick! I know that from my own experience, and now I'm learning it from yet another angle as a parent.
I love Caleb so much, and I'm so grateful he's been a trouper through this trial as we waited and waited to find an answer.
No comments:
Post a Comment