Monday, March 19, 2012

Brett's Plethora Of Health Care Workers

My stress level has actually been pretty high lately because I had something else on my brain while everything happened with my father-in-law. Brettley is really far behind in a lot of his skills. We've had several health workers, including his pediatrician, agree that he has at least partial hearing loss, he doesn't communicate at all other than crying or laughing and his gross and fine motor skills are closer to that of a 6 month old baby. Enter Edmonton Early Intervention Program, who are going to help us get through it all. So before we were just working with his pediatrician and his opthalmologist. Now we've added in an early intervention worker, audiology, a speech therapist, a physiotherapist and an occupational therapist.

We're working off of the assumption at this point that we're all going to need to learn ASL. Brettley's EEIP worker wants us to start teaching him a few basic signs, so I'm going to start with 5, because the website recommended to me suggested that was a good number to start with. We'll begin with Mom, Dad, Milk, Hungry and Bed. Caleb still remembers the signs I taught him a few months ago (C, T, B, Mom, Dad, Eat, Drink and Love), so I think he'll be a huge help through this. Brett's worker also said that there's a good chance that he'll end up needing a special preschool in a few years and then take his schooling from there. I now really understand why we're supposed to wait a few more years before we have another baby. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but Brettley is worth every single bit of it.

2 comments:

adrienne said...

I'm thinking about you guys! It sounds like you've got a lot of hard work ahead of all of you! Good thing you are such a strong, faithful person!

Heidi said...

I will be praying that he will begin to be able to communicate with you. I am sure it is so hard for him not to be able to tell you what he needs and just as frustrating for you. I love you and I will be praying for Brett.