Monday, April 19, 2010

My Thoughts For Today

I love caffeine free diet Pepsi. Not because I love pumping my body full of aspartame (it actually gives me a headache really quickly lots of the time), but because it's the only thing I'm willing to drink (other than water and herbal tea) that doesn't have calories. John and I started using Lose It again on Thursday. If you don't know what it is, it's an application that helps you count your calories on the iPhone or iPod Touch. We love it. It helped John lose like 30 lbs last summer, and I lost a fair bit as well. Then my disorder kicked in and I went on meds that made me gain 25 lbs in a month and now I have to lose it all again. Oh well, could be worse, right? I'm just so grateful that I found a treatment for my disorder that works, is perfectly safe to take even during pregnancy, and doesn't make me gain any weight at all. It has next to no side effects, it's wonderful! It's been working great for me for 2 months now.

The weather has been great here and so we spent a fair bit of time outside last week. Caleb loved it. On Saturday I went to our Stake Activity Day. For those of you who aren't members of the same church as me, Activity Days is a program for girls ages 8-11. We meet twice a month and work on goals from their Faith in God program. I am the leader of this group in my ward (along with my assistant leader). Our theme on Saturday was Fit For The Kingdom. We learned about spiritual health, physical health and nutrition. It was lots of fun. I even learned (very roughly) how to do the Hoedown Throwdown dance from the Hannah Montana movie.

Saturday night Caleb kept asking us if Ty could sleep in his room, so we figured we'd give it a try. Caleb did great and didn't hurt Ty even once, but Ty had the mother of all hissy fits because he didn't have a sippy cup of milk. Okay, I do NOT believe in nighttime bottles. I never did it with Caleb. However, Ty spent a lot of time at my in-laws in the past 7 months, and picked up the habit there. So now we're trying to break him of it. It's NOT fun. I let him have water in his sippy cup now, but the dude is seriously addicted to milk and screams his head off at the water. Fun fun!

Right now with Activity Days I have to prepare a lesson on hygeine and one on "My Body is a Temple", which will include nutrition, language, dress & appearance and physical activity. According to the Government of Canada, kids the ages of 6-14 need AT LEAST 30 minutes of physical activity every day and they are really pushing the cut down on TV, video games and computer time. I totally agree with this. I have our TV on way too much, I totally know that. I watch less than 2 hours per day, myself. However, Caleb does watch it a lot. It's hard when you live in Canada during the winter and have no drivers license. I'm so glad it's warm now and Caleb can play in the backyard lots.

So here's my thought for the day. Caleb doesn't play video games yet. He occassionally is allowed to play a Fisher Price ABC game on the computer (like once every 2 weeks or so), but that's it. We have a Wii and both feel that Caleb is too young to play it yet. However, I believe that once Caleb is old enough to use the Wii responsibly that he will have to earn his time on the Wii by doing chores around the house. And he will have to have his homework done first, as well. Also, we don't play video games on Sunday. So tell me, am I being to strict about video games in our house? I don't want my kid addicted to a controller or a keyboard. I want them to appreciate more wholesome activities. What do you think?

No comments: